Rachel Gruetzner

The Increase in Minimum Wage May Increase Your Child Support​

KALAMAZOO, MICH. – Aug. 2, 2016 – In 2016, the Michigan Legislature increased minimum wage from $8.15 to $8.50 per hour. This latest increase won’t be the last one either.  Minimum wage is set to reach $9.25 per hour on January 1, 2018, as detailed here.

In Michigan, child support is determined by a complex mathematical formula.

If a parent does not work, courts usually determine that the parent has the ability to earn income.  Then, they will assign an income to that non-working parent based on the minimum wage.  This is known as imputing income. Therefore, when minimum wage increases, any imputed income will also increase.

If your ex-spouse pays child support based on a minimum wage income, then you may be eligible for an increase in your child support. Parents can request an increase in child support so long as the change will equal either $50, or 10 percent more per month, whichever is greater.  If your ex was not working at the time of your child support order, consult an attorney. Due to the increase in minimum wage, you may be missing out on an increase in child support.



* indicates required
Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

About Levine & Levine

Levine & Levine is renowned in the legal community throughout Michigan and beyond, for offering compassionate, professional and thoughtful representation in addition to experienced and aggressive advocacy. Since 1987, the firm has provided highly effective representation to individuals and businesses. Levine & Levine specializes in criminal defense, family law, business law, appeals, and estate planning.

136 East Michigan Ave. 14th Floor  |  KalamazooMI 49007  |  Phone269-382-0444  |  Fax269-382-0464